Freezer Friendly Macarons
Let me show you how you can make the perfect French macaron with these step by step instructions. This is a great french macaron recipe for beginners!
These macarons are absolutely perfect with a thin shell on the outside and a smooth soft center. Biting into them is like enjoying a flavorful light cookie that melts away in your mouth!
French macarons do not have to be intimidating!
French macarons intimidated me for years to the point that I didn’t even want to try to make them. And I love to bake! If you have been intimidated by French macarons fear no more!
To help I have tried to include detailed instructions for how to make macarons so that anyone, even beginners, can make this delicious cookie at home!
Why you will love this French macaron recipe
- Step by step instructions
- Crunchy shell and soft center
- Crazy good flavor
- Customization ideas!
Step by step instructions make this a perfect French macaron recipe for beginners!
The next question to ask yourself is what kind of macaron you want to make! There are so many different French macaron flavors out there! My favorite is a simple vanilla macaron but you can customize this recipe to any flavor.
For a friends baby shower I made this recipe and added fresh strawberries to the filling for a strawberry macaron. They were so tasty!
People thought they were professional macarons! WHAT?!
Try this recipe to impress everyone at the next party. I promise you this is the best French macaron recipe you will find! I have also included my French macaron filing recipe which is a simple buttercream. YUMMMMM!
Macaron filling flavors ideas
- Red Velvet
- White Chocolate
*See FAQ’s and specific tips following recipe below. (so you don’t have to scroll for a million years to find the food).
How do you make basic macarons step by step instructions below 👇
A French Macaroon Recipe for Beginners
- 200 g confectioners’ sugar
- 100 g finely ground almond flour
- 120 g eggs whites (at room temp)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 40 g granulated sugar (sifted)
- 1/2 tsp flavoring
- 1 to 3 drops liquid or gel food coloring (Optional)
Simple Buttercream Frosting/Filling Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp milk (I prefer almond milk)
- 1 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 small pinch salt (Optional)
Macaroon Shell Directions:
- TIP: This recipe will come out best if you weight out each ingredient using a kitchen scale.
- Sift together confectioners sugar and almond flour, set aside.
- Beat room temp egg whites and salt together on medium speed for 1 minute. Switch to high speed and bean until stiff peaks form (I would check mixture every 30 seconds so you do not overbeat the egg whites, took my egg whites about 1 minute on high)
- Gently fold in your sifted granulated sugar 1 tablespoon at a time.
- On low speed, bean in any flavoring or coloring of your choice. Only mix in flavoring/coloring until just combined. (Be sure not to overmix)
- Do not use a hand mixer or stand mixer for this step! Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the confectioners' sugar/almond flour mixture until combined. Be very gently as you fold in the dry ingredients. Once combined your mixture will be smooth, sticky and glossy.
- Let batter sit uncovered at room temp for 10-30 minutes.
- As batter sits out prep your piping bag using a 1/2 inch circle tip for piping batter onto baking sheets. Traditionally silicone baking sheets are preferred but I use parchment paper and that has worked great for me!
- Fill the piping bag with batter and pipe even round circles onto the parchment covered baking sheets. Keep piping bag close to baking sheet holding it upright to get an even circle as you pipe. Make each circle about 2-inches, batter will slightly spread as you pipe. Gently tap bottom of baking sheets after your finished piping to remove any large air bubbles.
- Let your piped macaroon shells sit out to form a dry shell for 45 minutes – 1 hour. This step is SUPER IMPORTANT so don't skip it!
- Preheat oven to 325 (Do not preheat until macaroons have finished sitting out so you do not create a lot of humidity in your kitchen) Bake macaroons for 9-10 minutes, one baking sheet at a time. If you have a convection oven do not use the fan. Just stick to it as a normal oven. Allow macaroons to cool completely on the baking sheet before removing and filling.
- Fill piping bag with buttercream frosting (or desired filling) and pipe a ring around the edge of a macaroon shell. (Use a 1/2 inch circle piping tip). Gently press together macaroon shell with buttercream to another empty macaroon shell and VIOLA! You did it! You Made French Macaroons!
Simple Buttercream Frosting Directions:
- Cream butter until soft.
- Add in vanilla extract, milk and confectioners sugar and beat until mixture is fully combined, soft and creamy. (If you desire a thinner buttercream add in more milk 1/2 tbsp. at a time until desired consistency is reached)
FREE Printable Meal Planner to help you get started today. 👇
If you liked this french macaron recipe you may also like