Farm to Table Recipes Featuring Rochester, Michigan Farmers Market Fresh Ingredients
Memorial weekend was wonderful, we headed up north and enjoyed some much needed fresh air and rest.
Now it’s back home and time for another delicious fresh recipes featuring ONLY the ingredients found at my local farmers market.
This is the fourth week in a row that I have had the pleasure of creating recipes based on these amazing local venders.
I saw some wonderful fresh summer squash and zucchini so why not make a ratatouille! (Traditional ratatouille contains eggplant as well but this week we are keeping it simple by using the squash as a base and tomato sauce on top)
It was a dicey weekend full of rain in the forecast. My kids generally get up really early in the morning, so we hurried ourselves out the door and made it to the Farmers Market this weekend just as the clouds were rolling over above. I quickly grabbed some ingredients, and as I got in the car, the dark clouds came and the rain came pouring down. I made it just in time. With the summer coming in fast, more and more fresh produce is making its way to the market, and I couldn’t be more excited to share with you the recipe of the week.
This weeks farm to table recipe is an Easy Ratatouille Recipe topped with a fresh Microgreen salad featuring ONLY ingredients purchased at the downtown Rochester, Farmers Market.
This recipe was fun to make, and it looks so pretty. The microgreens have become one of my favorite inspirational ingredients to work with. I have discovered brand new flavors that enhance almost ANY dish. Plus this delicious fresh ingredient is PACKED with vitamins and healthy goodness.
Cooking for me is a way I show love to the people around me, and purchasing local ingredients from people who cultivate food with love brings so much to every dish.
Having the opportunity to head to my local farmers market and buy ingredients made with love, to then be inspired at home to cook with love, means so much to me. And today I couldn’t be more excited to bring you into my home and share with you some of the food I’ve made with love because of my local farmers market.
Farm to table food is fresh, tastes incredible, and supports your local community, and the freshness is so evident in every meal. You CAN taste the difference, and I don’t think it can get any better.
This year, we decided to hop in and support our local farmers in Rochester, Michigan, by creating a brand new farmers market fresh recipe every week featuring locally produced ingredients.
Keep reading for the recipe card and to learn more about our Farm to Table Recipes.
Why you will love Farm to Table recipes
- Ingredients taste best when in season
- Seasonal foods tend to be more affordable
- Support small businesses passionate about their ingredients.
- It’s so fun to head to the farmers market with the fam!
- Just plain yummy!
- Summer Squash
- Fresh Garlic
- Olive Oil
- Italian Seasoning
It’s amazing how many things you can find at your local farmers market.
You may be envisioning rows of vegetables and fruit. (and trust me there is plenty of that fresh produce)
But your local farmers market can also be an amazing place to find fresh eggs, meats, and even baked goods. All made fresh by local small businesses passionate about what they do and the quality of food they provide.
How do you make this super easy ratatouille recipe? 👇
Easy Ratatouille Recipe
- 4 medium tomatoes quartered
- 1/4 onion diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 3 cloves fresh garlic diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup water or broth
- 3 summer squash thinly sliced
- 3 zucchini thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350
- In saucepan on the stovetop add olive oil to pan and cook onions until softened on medium high (about 5-7 minutes)
- Once softened add in quartered tomatoes and water. Bring to a boil and simmer on medium heat for 20 minutes.
- While sauce simmers slice zucchini and yellow squash thin. (TIP: I love using a mandolin for this step).
- Using an 11 x 7 casserole dish layer the zuchini and suqash by alterniating between the two. Make sure when you set them in the pan they are side up. This way your dish will have room for the sauce when you add it.
- Once all your squash is layered you will have a beautiful beginning to your dish. (Now is the perfect time to take some insta worthy pics and show off all your efforts)
- Remove your sauce from the stove and mash with a fork or blend in a blender.
- Top your zucchini and yellow squash with the sauce and cover with foil.
- Bake in the oven covered for 20 minutes, then uncovered for 20 minutes.
- When you are ready to serve the dish, rinse your microgreens and toss with some olive oil, salt and pepper. Top off the ratatouille with your microgreen salad and serve.
Are we friends yet? 👇
FREE Printable Meal Planner to help you get started today. 👇
If you like this recipe you may also like…
- The Best Chili you Ever Had!
- Fresh Basil Tomato Sauce
- Sausage Tortellini Bake
- Apple BBQ Pulled Pork
- Best Rib Recipe