Farm to Table Recipes Featuring Rochester, Michigan Farmers Market Fresh Ingredients
What a beautiful second weekend it was at the downtown Rochester, Michigan Farmers Market. With the summer coming in fast, more and more fresh produce is making its way to the market.
With all the fresh produce and beautiful vegetables on display, I felt inspired to create a cast iron vegetable frittata this week containing fresh garlic, asparagus, tomatoes and onions.
This weeks farm to table recipe is a Cast Iron Vegetable Frittata featuring ONLY ingredients purchased at the downtown Rochester, Farmers Market.
I FOUND MICROGREENS THIS WEEK! This is an ingredient I have never worked with and have always wanted to. With a little olive oil, salt and pepper a fresh microgreen salad became the perfect garnish to top off my farm fresh frittata.
Cooking for me is a way I show love to the people around me, and purchasing local ingredients from people who cultivate food with love brings so much to every dish.
Having the opportunity to head to my local farmers market and buy ingredients made with love, to then be inspired at home to cook with love, means so much to me. And today I couldn’t be more excited to bring you into my home and share with you some of the food I’ve made with love because of my local farmers market.
Farm to table food is fresh, tastes incredible, and supports your local community.
This year, we decided to hop in and support our local farmers in Rochester, Michigan, by creating a brand new farmers market fresh recipe every week featuring local ingredients.
Today, let’s make a Vegetable Frittata Recipe with tomatoes, garlic, asparagus and onion.
Keep reading for the recipe card and to learn more about farm to table recipes.
Why you will love farm to table recipes
- Ingredients taste best when in season
- Seasonal foods tend to be more affordable
- Support small businesses passionate about their trade
- It’s so fun to head to the farmers market with the fam!
- Just plain yummy!
- Fresh Tomatoes
- Fresh Garlic
- Black Pepper
- Fresh Basil Leaves
Microgreens, baked goods and meat at a farmers market?!
YES! It’s amazing how many things you can find at your local farmers market. You may be envisioning rows of vegetables and fruit.
(and trust me there is plenty of that fresh produce)
But your local farmers market can also be an amazing place to find fresh eggs, meats, and even baked goods. All made fresh by local small businesses passionate about what they do and the quality of food they provide.
How do you make this Cast Iron Asperagus Vegetable Frittata Recipe? 👇
Cast Iron Frittata Recipe
- Cast Iron Skillet
- 4-6 slices bacon diced
- 1 medium tomato diced
- 2 large cloves garlic diced
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 1/2 cup asparagus diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 5 leaves fresh basil
- 1 cup microgreens
- Preheat oven to 325
- Grab your cast iron skillet and cook bacon until crispy over medium high heat. (I used thick cut bacon and it took about 7-12 minutes).
- While bacon cooks, mix together eggs, milk, salt and pepper.
- Once crispy, remove bacon from pan and set aside. Reserve some bacon fat in the skillet.
- Add asparagus and onion to the cast iron skillet with bacon fat. Cook until onions become translucent and asparagus begins to soften. (About 5-7 minutes on medium-high heat).
- Add diced tomatoes and garlic to the asperagus and onions and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes in cast iron skillet.
- Lower the heat to low and ass in your crispy bacon and egg mixture. Stir to fully incorporate all ingredients, top off your frittata with 5 basil leaves, and place skillet into the oven.
- Cook for 15-17 minutes in the oven.
- While frittata cooks grab your microgreens and be sure to rinse them gently in cold water. After rinsing, pat dry, place microgreens in a bowl and add in olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Set microgreens aside to top of frittata when you are ready to serve.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes, top off your frittata with microgreens, serve and enjoy!
Are we friends yet? 👇
FREE Printable Meal Planner to help you get started today. 👇
If you like this recipe you may also like…
- The Best Chili you Ever Had!
- Fresh Basil Tomato Sauce
- Sausage Tortellini Bake
- Apple BBQ Pulled Pork
- Best Rib Recipe