Buying October Fresh produce guide produce when it is widely supplied is the best way to buy fresh fruits and vegetables and save money. Great fresh food at the best price is a huge win for flavor, texture and budgeting.
This is your Fresh October Produce Guide that you will want to look over during your meal planning prep recipe making.
The best October produce for price and taste!
If you have the available and budget to head to your local farmers market on the weekends, you are sure to get amazingly fresh fruits and vegetables.
If you do not live near a local farmers market, your local grocery store is sure to have fruits and vegetables in season that are widely available.
Fruits and vegetables month by month: Fresh October Produce Guide.
Often times stores will get large batches of in season foods and they place them at a sale price. October seasonal produce is amazing and delicious.
When you are shopping look for produce that is stocked on the shelves with a sale price and you are sure to get in season produce.
If you see something on sale and in bulk at your local store most likely it’s because that is the October fruit or Veggie of the month.
Why you will love shopping for fruits and veggies in season by the month.
- Great prices
- Amazing Flavor
- Widely produced and available
Vegetables and Fruits that are in season in October.
Depending on where you live there are slightly different produce that are in season. However in the USA the list provided are the most common produce available in season in for the month of September.
Comment below and tell me what is most in season in your local area if it is not listed in this post.
What fruits are in season in October?
Fresh October Fruit
1. Blackberries: A great on the go fruit for lunches and great for spreads.
2. Raspberries: These berries are great for cooking, baking and even drinks.
3. Peaches: Peaches can be used as a side while using the grill. Peaches can also be used in a fruit salad or in a salsa.
4. Nectarines: Commonly eating fresh, or cooked in jams, spreads, conserves, and pies.
5. Plums: Plums are great with cobblers, cakes, jams and are just a great snack for lunches. Need help with how to use your plums, take a look at this side recipe.
6. Figs: Figs are great for eating as is, or used in spreads, pies, tarts, and salads.
7. Grapes: One of the things that my kids love to do with grapes is to freeze them and then eat them as a snack. Grapes are also amazing in a fruit salad.
8. Apples: Fresh apple pie is a fall highlight dessert for many of us. But there are so many great desserts to enjoy in the spring like an apple crisp over vanilla ice cream or chunky homemade apple sauce.
9. Pear: A ripe delicious seasonal pear is heavenly! Not to mention this one is great for making homemade baby food, desserts of all kinds and amazing with some gouda on a cheese platter.
10.. Cranberries: Great as a juice or sauce, this fruit is used often times in desserts, casseroles, and stuffings.
11.. Pomegranates: Best to eat as a snack, tossed in a salad, or used in a yogurt parfait.
12. Kiwi: Is there a fruit that tastes better than a Kiwi. I don’t think so. My kids love kiwi’s and they are freshest in October – May. Great with Marinades and salsas. Here is a great Crab Cake Recipe with Kiwi salsa.
Some of your best bets for seasonal apples in October are:
- Granny Smith
- Red Delicious
What vegetables are in season in October?
- Summer Squash
- Bell Peppers
- Hot Peppers
- Sweet Potatoes
- Winter Squash
- Brussel Sprouts
- Celery Root
Fresh October Vegetables
1. Cucumbers : Bring on the cucumber salads and fresh cucumber sandwiches.
3. Summer Squash: There is nothing better than grilled squash. Enjoy!
4. Corn: Corn can be used in many different ways. It can obviously be grilled on a girl and topped with some plain butter. Corn can also be used in salsa, salads and can even be turned into pancakes and waffles for breakfast.
5. Bell Peppers: Bell Peppers are great for fajitas and are amazing grilled with some fresh onions and mushrooms.
6. Tomatoes: Tomatoes are wonderful as a tart, in salsa’s, roasted or used in a vinaigrette.
7. Eggplant: Eggplants are great as a curry, in a stir fry, in a roast or pasta. Eggplant can even be used as a pizza, in a bake, on a kebob, and are often found in appetizers.
8. Hot Peppers: Hot Peppers can be baked, roasted, grilled, stuffed, or eaten raw. This veggie has many amazing ways to use.
9. Artichoke: This Vegetable can be used in so many different ways, you can use them whole, raw, grilled, fried, in pasta sauce, or in dips
10. Peas: Peas can be used in a lot of different cookings. You can use them in soups, sides, pasta dishes, you can make a puree with them or use them with good ol’ fashioned peas with salt and garlic and butter. Delicious.
11. Sweet Potatoes: There is nothing better than homemade sweet potato fries. You can also use sweet potato in baby food.
`12. Parsnips: Great for chicken broths and soups , can be baked, sautéed, steamed, roasted or fried.
13. Winter Squash: great as a roasted side, or mixed in with pasta dishes.
14. Brussel Sprouts: Grilled brussel Sprouts cannot be beat.
15. Celery Roots: Great too bake into chips, or used in soups.
16. Celery: Look for Celery with fresh leaves, and stalks that look fresh and not dried out. Great veggie to include in many salads, slaws and soups.
Pin this Guide and save it for later!
Are we friends yet? 👇
Recipes to try in August.
- Stuffed Meatballs with Marinara Dipping Sauce
- Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Spinach Artichoke Manicotti
- Summer Freezer Meal Round Up
- Freezer Apple Pie