I have a very hard time finding a jelly or jam that does not have loads of sugar or preservatives in it. Then when I do find something promising its too expensive for my current budget…based on a high demand for pb&j in our household.
Then I discovered chia jam!
I have found quite a few recipes but this is my own. It has no honey or sweetener in it. I like the tartness and sweetness of natural fruit but if you want it sweeter feel free to add honey, maple syrup or your desired sweetener to taste.
The chia seeds add a great jelly like texture and my kids absolutely love jam!
I like to make a double batch and keep some in the freezer until we run out…which always happens faster then expected lol
I hope you enjoy this healthy and delicious jam recipe! Feel free to use any fruit you like and get creative!
Freezer Friendly Paleo Jam
- 3 cup Frozen Strawberries (Or any frozen fruit you have)
- 2 tbsp Chia Seeds
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice*
- Set fruit in saucepan on stovetop med-high heat, lid on, and bring to a boil. (Stirring occasionally).
- Once boiling set to med heat and simmer for 35 min with lid on or until fruit begins to fall apart (I used strawberries so if using a smaller fruit this step will take less time – Jam will be very thin at this time, chia seeds and cooling will thicken it up.)
- Remove from heat and add chia seeds and lemon juice. Stir and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Blend in high speed blender or food processor for 2 minutes. Store in glass containers and set in freezer until ready for use. (I use 8 oz mason jars for storage, I freeze all the jam except one which I keep in fridge so we can enjoy! Stays good for up to two weeks in fridge and up to three months in freezer)