Have you ever needed something to do with those potatoes that are starting to spud? Or do you shop in bulk and need a way to preserve all those potatoes?
I love to buy a lot of things in bulk at Costco. I am able to get better quality, like organic potatoes. But I also wind up with 10 lbs of potatoes.
Lets be honest you can only have mashed potatoes so many times…
Preserving potatoes by turning them into hash browns is the perfect solution!
Its super easy to do and will give you an easy tasty addition to breakfast, lunch or dinner. Plus they can be used in soups, quiches and many other recipes!
It also save money and is way healthier for you.
Common non-organic freezer hash browns contain the folowing ingredients: Potatoes, Dextrose, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate (to Retain Natural Color)
Organic freezer hash browns may be better ingredient-wise but will run you a lot more money then doing it yourself.
So if your on a budget and trying to discover new healthy ways to eat well for less then this solution is perfect for you!
DIY Freezer Hash Browns
- 10 Potatoes (As many as you want! I usually do this with 10)
- 3 Gallon Freezer Bags (I prefer ziplock)
- Preheat oven to 350. Poke holes in potatoes with a fork and set on baking sheet. Bake in a preheated oven for 1 hour. (Potatoes will be just tender and not super soft. This helps when you shred the potatoes before freezing)
- After potatoes are cooked cool in fridge for a couple hours or overnight.
- Peel potatoes (If desired) Its ok to shred with skin on if you like the skin. I prefer to peel them. Shred potatoes either using a hand grater (It goes really fast and easy) or using a food processor with proper attachment.
- Lay shredded potato out evenly on baking sheet and freezer for 1-2 hours. (Use a couple different sheets, do not pile a lot on one. I would recommend having a relatively thin layer for each.)
- After 1-2 hours remove shredded potatoes from freezer, break apart and set into gallon freezer bags. Now seal and set back into freezer. Potatoes will not be 100% frozen at this point but will be close. They will complete freezing in the gallon bags.
- Now remove hash browns from freezer anytime, cook and enjoy!