Instant Pot Tomato Sauce
Mmmmmm…tomato sauce. Homemade instant pot tomato sauce is so crazy easy! Spaghetti and meatballs, pizza, veggies, pasta, spaghetti squash, sooo many possibilities.
This is a super easy instant pot tomato sauce you can freeze or use fresh anytime!
Journeying toward less processed foods, more organic living and all on a budget means more homemade items. But it doesn’t have to mean home cooking every-night. No ones got time for that!
Plus who doesn’t love a quick spaghetti dinner?
How about a quick spaghetti dinner with homemade instant pot tomato sauce?
This tomato sauce is so easy, fast to make and freezes really well. Make a big batch and then freeze so you have as many easy dinner nights as you like.
So when pasta night arrives whip out that fresh pasta sauce you made and sit down to proudly enjoy!
Why you will love this Instant Pot Fresh Tomato Sauce.
- Minutes to Prep
- Super Easy
- Extremely Tasty
- Healthy (Soy Free, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Preservative Free)
- Family Friendly
Is Instant Pot Tomato Sauce healthy?
Ingredients you will need for this Instant Pot Tomato Sauce.
- bay leaves
- diced tomatoes (fresh or canned)
- tomato paste
- Italian seasoning
- yellow onion
- olive oil
- fresh basil (or dried basil)
- cloves garlic
- Raw Honey (Optional, add for extra sweetness if you like a sweet sauce)
What is raw honey? Is it different from regular honey?
Why is Tomato sauce good for you?
How to make this fresh basil tomato sauce recipe in the slow cooker?
Can I add meat to this tomato sauce?
What to serve with this instant pot fresh tomato sauce recipe?
- As a dip
- And so much more!
How to store this tomato sauce.
After cooking store in fridge in an airtight container for 3-5 days. You can also freeze the sauce especially if you make a big batch for up to 3-4 months. I like to store my pasta sauce in glass containers, enough in each for a family dinner.
Having fresh sauce arounds makes for a quick last minute spaghetti night anytime PLUS its a healthy clean sauce!
Do I need a slow cooker for this recipe?
Can I use an instant pot?
*See FAQ’s and specific tips following recipe below. (so you don’t have to scroll for a million years to find the food ).
How do you make this Fresh Basil Tomato Sauce Recipe?
Instant Pot Tomato Sauce (Using Fresh or Canned Tomatoes)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3 cup diced tomatoes
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, diced (or 1 1/2 tbsp dried basil)
- 5 cloves garlic, minced (or 1 tsp garlic powder)
Instant Pot Tomato Sauce Directions:
- Add your olive oil to base of instant pot first.
- Add all iremaining ingredients into the instant pot. (If using fresh tomatoes add an additional 1 cup water so your tomatoes do not burn)
- Secure instant pot lid and be sure the steam release valve is sealed.
- Pressure cook on high pressure for 20 minutes (the instant pot will take some time to come to pressure)
- Natural pressure release for 10 minutes then release your steam value to vent out all remaining pressure.
- Stir and add salt and pepper to taste if any extra is needed.
- Optional: Use an immertion blender, high speed blender, or food processor to blend half or all of the sauce depending on how chuncky you like your sauce.
- Heat olive oil in skillet on stovetop
- Add diced onion and sauté 3-5 minutes (Or until softened)
- Add in all the remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes. (If you like a thicker sauce you can simmer longer until you reach desired consistency)
- Serve over pasta, veggies, or whatever you're enjoying for dinner! Freeze sauce in airtight containers for up to three months. (Be sure to let sauce cool before you store it)
Slow Cooker/Crock Pot Directions:
- Add all ingredeints into slow cooker.
- Cook on low 2-4 hours or high 1-2 hours. (If you need to let it simmer longer you will get more and more flavor the longer it simmers on low)
- Stir and serve! You can also freeze once cooled for 3-4 months.
if you liked this recipe give it a share!
Tag @My_FamilyDinner or #MyFamilyDinner
How freezer meals will change your life.
To learn more about how freezer cooking can help make your life easier sign up for FOOD FOR THOUGHT! Get healthy recipes, meal plans and hacks straight to your inbox weekly.
Frequently asked questions
You can thaw the tomato sauce by letting it sit in the fridge overnight. Or set in warm water. Or you can thaw in the microwave on a defrost setting.
There are so many different ways to customize your tomato sauce and make it your own. Try…
- Use chicken
- Ground turkey
- Green peppers
- Other veggies you love!
Occasionally we love making instant pot tomato sauce with meat. It’s also so good to make homemade instant pot tomato sauce with canned tomatoes. You can get amazing flavor so why not use a beloved canned tomato flavor to give your sauce some extra somethin somethin!
- Lots of flavor
- Easy pantry ingredients
- Not too much work
- Options to make in big batches
- Fast to prep…
- …Faster to make!
A serving size assumes 1/2 cup of tomato sauce at 119 kcal per serving.
Absolutely. This instant pot tomato sauce is super fast and easy!
If you’re interested in an instant pot cheat sheet for cook times click here!
Pressure cooker tomato sauce will make your life so easy and you will never go back to pre-made canned.
Add in 1-2 tbsp tapioca starch mixed with 1-2 tbsp water to make a slurry and then add to the tomato sauce and cook on low in slow cooker for an additional 30 minutes to thicken sauce. (you can also use cornstarch or arrowroot powder if that’s what you have on hand)
Tomato sauce is for so much more then spaghetti! This marinara inspired homemade tomato sauce is great on all kinds of things!
I love to use it on a gluten free pasta and even mix it with some pesto or Alfredo sauce for a special pasta night!
You could even top veggies with it and broil some cheese on top.
Its great for pizza night as your base or a dip for pizza meatballs.
Or even better dip mozzarella sticks!! SO many amazing and creative ideas out there!
Best part it this sauce is a clean recipe and you don’t have to feel guilty for eating it night after night after night 🥰
Pasta sauce with fresh tomatoes is amazing. Especially if they are from your garden or the beautiful country of Italy!
But I don’t find a ton of different when I use tomatoes from the grocery store and canned tomatoes. I love getting the best flavor possible from my food and if it was worth it I would put in extra effort.
My vote though it that canned tomatoes will deliver you an AMAZING tomato sauce with almost NO EFFORT! In my book canned tomatoes win!
Throw everything in and let it cook for 2-4 hours on low. If you have the time you can let it simmer for longer. The longer it simmers the better the sauce.
If you are short on time try the instant pot tomato sauce instructions or cook it in the slow cooker on high for 1-2 hours.
I love using a dutch oven when I make this on the stovetop. If I have time to feel like an amazing Italian grandma then I might make a good homemade tomato sauce on the stovetop.
Letting it simmer on low all day gives me all the feels, smells amazing and tastes even better!
Don't forget to pin this recipe and save it for later! 👇
Follow Here! 👇
If you liked this fresh basil tomato sauce recipe you may also like