Homemade healthy cranberry sauce is surprisingly easy to make. The recipe below will show you how to make instant pot cranberry sauce or stovetop cranberry sauce.
With all natural ingredients and naturally sweetened this cranberry sauce is the perfect mixture of sweet and tart. Using fresh cranberries is affordable and gives a light fresh taste to this side dish.
Since this cranberry sauce is a freezer meal it can easily be made ahead of time in minutes so that your holiday dinner is that much easier to make.
This healthy fresh cranberry recipe is frozen raw and cooked for the first time the day you need it.
My toddler LOVES this recipe. He asked for seconds and I have trouble with feeding him enough food, he tends to be really picky.
Homemade cranberry sauce is a great healthy fresh side to top off yout turkey, oatmeal or just on its own. The freshness orange juice offers in the dish makes it one of the best cranberry sauces I have ever made.
Skip the canned cranberry “sauce” and make this easy fresh instant pot cranberry sauce.
Why you will love this instant pot cranberry sauce recipe.
- 5 Minutes to Prep
- Super Easy
- Extremely Tasty
- Healthy (Soy Free, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Preservative Free)
- Family Friendly
Is cranberry sauce healthy for you?
Ingredients you will need for this healthy cranberry sauce recipe.
- orange juice (fresh squeezed or pre-made)
- raw honey
- vanilla extract
- apple cider vinegar
What is raw honey? Is it different from regular honey?
How to make this basic cranberry sauce recipe?
How to make this fresh cranberry sauce recipe in the instant pot?
Can you freeze homemade cranberry sauce?
What to serve with this freeze ahead cranberry sauce recipe?
How to store this healthy freeze ahead cranberry sauce recipe?
Is cranberry sauce warm or cold?
Can I use an instant pot?
*See FAQ’s and specific tips following recipe below. (so you don’t have to scroll for a million years to find the food ).
How do you make this Healthy Cranberry Sauce Recipe?
- 1 1/2 lb fresh cranberries or frozen
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup raw honey
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
Supplies for Freezing:
- 1 gallon freezer bag
- Label Freezer bag with Recipe name, cooking from freezer directions and expiration date (todays date plus three months).
- Add all ingredients to labeled freezer bag.
- Seal bag, removing as much air as possible and freeze for up to three months.
Cooking from Frozen Directions:
- Dump contents of gallon freezer bag into a large deep saute pan on the stovetop and set heat to medium high. (If frozen cranberries will thaw quickly)
- Bring cranberries to a boil.
- Cover and let simmer 20-25 minutes. (Cranberries will start to pop open and mix together into a sauce when finished)
- Once sauce comes togther remove from heat and serve (If you like it warm). Or store in serving container and set into fridge to cool, serve when ready. (Sauce will thicken in fridge)
Instant Pot Directions:
- Dump contents of gallon freezer bag into instant pot.
- Cover with lid, be sure vent is in sealed position, and set to high pressure for 2 minutes.
- Natural Pressure Release (NPR) for 5-10 minutes, then Quick Release (QR).
- Stir (Adding in extra honey for added sweetness if desired) then store in fridge to cool if desired. (Sauce will thicken in fridge)
- Make it pretty by topping off the cranberries sauce with orange zest.
if you liked this recipe give it a share!
Tag @My_FamilyDinner or #MyFamilyDinner
How freezer meals will change your life.
Frequently asked questions
No problem! This healthy cranberry recipe is designed to be taken right out of the freezer and cooked in the instant pot or on the stovetop. Either way this make ahead tart cranberry sauce is easy and delicious.
Homemade cranberry sauce will stay good in the fridge, after cooking, for 3-5 days. Be sure the homemade cranberry sauce is sealed in an airtight container so that it is properly stored.
Store-bought cranberry sauce is very high in sugar, preservatives and low in cranberries. But homemade cranberry sauce can be sugar free, containing only natural sweeteners, and abide by your dietary restrictions.
If you are looking for a low sugar easy homemade cranberry sauce then try this healthy cranberry sauce recipe.
A serving size assumes 1/3 cup of cranberry sauce mix at 128 kcal per serving.
Absolutely. Instant pot cranberry sauce is the best! You may have to play around with cook times. If you’re interested in an instant pot cheat sheet for cook times click here!
Yes, you can reheat cranberry sauce. Although traditionally cranberry sauce is served cold because it thickens when cooled.
Thicken cranberry sauce by cooling in the fridge after cooking. If your cranberry sauce has still not reached the thickness you would prefer then reduce back down on the stovetop for 5-10 minutes.
Adding in raw honey, a natural sweetener, will combat the tartness of a fresh cranberry. If your cranberry sauce has finished cooking and still comes out to tart then add in 1 tbsp of honey at a time until desired flavor has been reached.
Cranberry sauce is a sweet and tart sauce that can be enjoyed on its own or as a dressing for turkey. If you are not a fan or cranberry sauce then try making a bacon jam, Chimichurri sauce or even some chunky homemade applesauce instead.
There are many healthy cranberry recipes that are diabetic friendly. Cranberries are relatively low in carbohydrates and sugars making then a great fruit for the diabetic diet. This sauce uses only natural sugars, raw honey, to sweeten this diabetic cranberry sauce. Be sure to portion out appropriately for your diet and use as little sugar as desired. If you use no honey in this recipe you may come out with a very tart cranberry sauce.
Don't forget to pin this recipe and save it for later! 👇
Follow Here! 👇
If you liked this healthy cranberry sauce recipe you may also like