freezer chicken noodle soup
This freezer chicken noodle soup recipe was born because my 8 year old felt sick and asked for chicken noodle soup. My ingredients were low but I was gonna get her soup no matter what.
And viola, this easy chicken noodle soup recipe that gave me super mom vibes was born.
Isn’t it the best feeling when we are able to help our kids! Sometimes those little wins give you confidence to get through the days and confirm you are doing something right.
Customize this recipe to whatever you have in the house. I use chicken thighs but you can use chicken breast or your preferred cut of chicken in this too! Also throw in whatever noodle is hiding in that pantry of yours!
This is a great way to use up items in the pantry and enjoy a healthy comfort food dinner.
Why you will love this freezer chicken noodle soup recipe.
- 10 Minutes to Prep
- Super Easy
- Extremely Tasty
- Healthy (Soy Free, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Preservative Free)
- Family Friendly
Can you freeze chicken and noodles?
Ingredients you will need for this chicken noodle soup recipe.
- olive oil
- broth of preference
- celery seeds
- bay leaf
- garlic powder
- dried parsley
- chicken thighs
- egg noodles (pasta noodles of choice)
- black pepper
Should I use chicken stock of chicken broth?
What noodles are best for easy chicken noodle soup?
How to make this sloppy joe recipe in the slow cooker?
Can I use chicken breasts?
Can I use rotisserie chicken?
What to serve with this freezer chicken noodle soup recipe?
How to store this healthy freezer chicken noodle soup recipe?
Do I need a slow cooker for this recipe?
Can I use an instant pot instead?
*See FAQ’s and specific tips following recipe below. (so you don’t have to scroll for a million years to find the food ).
How do you make this freezer chicken noodle soup recipe?
Freezer Chicken Noodle Soup
- Slow Cooker or Crock Pot
- 2 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 12 cup broth of preference I use chicken broth (Water will work too if needed)
- 1/2 tsp celery seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp dried parsley Use 2 tbsp fresh parsley if desired
- 2 lb bone-in chicken thighs or chicken breasts
- 8 oz pasta noodles of choice
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Add all ingredients (excepts pasta noodles) to the slow cooker.
- Cook on low 6-8 hours or high 3-4 hours.
- Add pasta noodles during last 30 minutes cook time.
- Remove chicken, shred or chop meat and remove bones (if necessary).
- Stir chicken back into soup and serve!
- Label Freezer bag with recipe name, cooking from frozen directions and expiration date (todays date plus three months).
- Add all ingredients, except broth and pasta noodles, into labeled gallon freezer bag.
- Store in freezer for up to three months.
Cooking from Frozen Directions:
- Thaw overnight in fridge or in the morning in some warm water (meal may not be 100% thawed but that is ok).
- Add freezer bag contents into slow cooker.
- Add 12 cups broth and cook on low 6-8 hours or high 3-4 hours. (May need to add an extra 30 minutes cook time if completely frozrn, be sure to check temperature of chicken).
- Add pasta noodles during the last 30 minutes cook time.
- Remove chicken, shred or chop meat and remove bones (if necessary).
- Stir chicken back into the soup and serve!
Instant Pot Directions:
- Add in all ingredients besides the pasta into the instant pot.
- Close lid and be sure vent is in sealed position. With your instant pot in the soup setting set time for 10 minutes and cook at high pressure.
- Natural release once soup has finished cooking and remove lid. Remove chicken and shred.
- Set instant pot to saute setting and add in noodles. Cook noodles for 6-9 minutes (or according to timing on noodle package). Once noodles are cooked add shredded chicken back into instant pot and stir. Serve and enjoy!
- Top off your soup with sour cream, fresh parsley or parmesan cheese!
- Great served with a slice of artisan bread on the side!
if you liked this recipe give it a share!
Tag @My_FamilyDinner or #MyFamilyDinner
How freezer meals will change your life.
To learn more about how freezer cooking can help make your life easier sign up for FOOD FOR THOUGHT! Get healthy recipes, meal plans and hacks straight to your inbox weekly.
Frequently asked questions
No problem! Just throw the freezer meal in your slow cooker and you’re all set. If it doesn’t fit thaw it for a few minutes in warm water. (You may need to add an extra 30 minutes cook time if completely frozen when cooking).
No. Food cannot stay out in room temperature for more then 4 hours without growing bacteria. So be sure to store the instant pot chicken noodles soup or crock pot chicken noodles soup in the fridge after cooking.
Depending on how youre freezing chicken noodle soup you can store for 3-4 months.
A freezer meal of chicken noodles soup before cooking will stay good in the freezer for up to 4 months.
A cooked chicken noodle soup stored in the freezer will stay good for 2-3 months.
A serving size assumes 1 1/2 cup of chicken noodle soup recipe at 352 kcal per serving.
Absolutely. There are instant pot instructions so this is also a instant pot chicken noodles soup recipe. If you have ever heard the term pressure luck it is the same as pressure cooking using the instant pot for chicken noodle soup.
If you’re interested in an instant pot cheat sheet for cook times click here!
You can freeze soup in many different containers.
I love using plastic or glass containers small enough to be individual servings if I am freezing chicken noodle soup after it is cooked.
If I am freezing a freezer meal then I will use a gallon freezer bag to freeze the chicken noodle soup.
Yes, I have heard some people complain of glass breaking but as long as you leave enough space for the liquid to expand I love using mason jars for freezing chicken noodle soup.
Bay leaves! This is one of my secret weapons for recipes…especially soups.
If your soup is lacking in flavor as you cook throw in a bay leave and extra salt and pepper until you are satisfied with the flavor.
Pretty much any soup you can think of or make at home can be great to freeze.
Let’s put it this way, I’ve never met a soup I couldn’t freeze. 😂
No, I wouldn’t recommend canning chicken noodle soup. Because of the components of the ingredients it will not can well.
You can freeze this freezer meals for 3-4 months before cooking the soup. You can freeze cooked chicken noodle soup for 2-3 months in the freezer.
Althought this is not a copycat panera chicken noodle soup recipes, it is even better! Panera chicken noodle soup recipes may be improving on their ingredients but they still have ingredients and preservatives that you do not want in your body. Therefore making a homemade chicken noodles instant pot or crock pot soup is the best option for health and flavor!
Yes crack chicken noodle soup has cream involved and does not come out as the traditional old school chicken noodle soup we all remember from childhood.
Absolutely! Just use your favorite gluten free noodles. I have found that lentil gluten free noodles have worked the best with soups at holding their flavor and shape. No mushy noodle here!
Don't forget to pin this recipe and save it for later! 👇
Follow Here! 👇
If you liked this freezer chicken noodle soup recipe you may also like