Vegetarian Freezer Burritos
These vegetarian freezer burritos are insane! Packed full of flavor you didn’t know existed in a vegetarian burrito. Plus this is a vegetarian freezer friendly meal so that you can incorporate healthy meals into your week with ease.
You will love these burritos because of the high protein you get from the beans and the big flavor the spices have to offer. They are not spices but rather full of flavor.
A skillet recipe that is easy to make and even better to eat!
All my kids 8 and under love these vegetarian burritos and non of them love spicy foods.
You can even use this recipe as a burrito bowl and serve over rice or cauliflower rice.
Some of my favorite dinners to enjoy with guests or a crowd are ones that can be customized. Serve this up with some taco toppings and enjoy your own homemade chipotle out of your kitchen!
Plus you do not miss the meat. Any meat lover will fill up on these burritos! My husband tends to feel like dinner will only fill his tummy up if there is meat.
Why you will love these Vegetarian Freezer Burritos
- Super Easy to Make
- Extremely Tasty
- Healthy (Soy Free, Gluten Free, Dairy Free (omit the cheese), Preservative Free)
- Family Friendly
Vegetarian freezer burritos healthy?
Ingredients you will need for this vegetarian burrito recipe.
- black beans
- bell pepper
- yellow onion
- fresh cilantro
- shredded cheese (optional)
- butter (or ghee)
- olive oil
- black pepper
- juice of 2 limes
- tortillas of dietary preference
- rice (optional)
Is this burrito recipe vegan?
This recipe is easily made into a vegan vegetarian burrito recipe if you omit the cheese and use ghee!
Can this recipe be used as a burrito bowl?
How to make these vegetarian freezer burritos?
What kind of beans can I use in this recipe?
What to serve with vegetarian burritos?
How to store cooked vegetarian burritos?
Do I need a slow cooker for this recipe?
Burrito filling/topping ideas.
*See FAQ’s and specific tips following recipe below. (so you don’t have to scroll for a million years to find the food 😉 ).
How do you make Vegetarian Freezer Burritos? 👇
Vegetarian Freezer Burritos
- Large Stovetop Skillet
- 6 cups or 3 (14.5 oz) cans cooked black beans
- 1 1/2 bell pepper, diced (Any color)
- 1 large Yellow Onion, diced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, diced
- 4 cup shredded cheese of preference (I like Mozerella)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 1/2 tsp cumin
- 4 tbsp fresh lime juice juice of 2 limes
- 16 medium tortillas (of dietary preference)
- 3 cup cooked rice of preference (I love basmati rice) more if making burrito bowls
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and melt butter. Once melted add oil.
- Add in the bell peppers, onion, cilantro, beans, spices and lime juice and sauté on high for 2-4 minutes. (Everything will stay fresh and crunchy and its just a perfect texture in the burritos or over rice...YUMMMM)
- Remove skillet from heat and set aside.
- Serve over rice at this point if making burrito bowls or continue on to step 5 if making burritos.
- Add 1/4 cup bean mixture plus desired cheese and rice and wrap burrito by folding over edges. Continue for as many burritos as making.
- Optional: Crisp up burritos on stovetop! Add some oil to a heated large skillet and place burritos on skillet for 1-2 minutes, or until each side is golden and crispy. Then serve warm with salsa and guacamole!
- Label Freezer bag with recipe name, cooking from frozen directions and expiration date (todays date plus three months).
- Follow directions to make burritos.
- Wrap each burrito individually in aluminum foil. (If making burrito bowls freeze filling in a labeled gallon freezer bag).
- Add all ingredients to labeled gallon freezer bag.
- Store in freezer for up to three months.
Cooking from Frozen Directions:
- For burritos: Remove desired number of burritos from freezer and cook in preheated oven (450 degrees) for 35-45 minutes.
- For burrito bowls: Thaw gallon freezer bag with bean mixture and heat on stovetop in skillet. Serve over rice.
- The bean mixture for these burritos is great for nachos, bean dip, a bean salad, tacos, burritos, burrito bowls and so much more!
if you liked this recipe give it a share!
Tag @My_FamilyDinner or #MyFamilyDinner
How freezer meals will change your life.
To learn more about how freezer cooking can help make your life easier sign up for FOOD FOR THOUGHT! Get healthy recipes, meal plans and hacks straight to your inbox weekly.
Frequently asked questions
No problem! These freezer burritos do not have to be thawed. Throw them in a microwave for 5-10 minutes or in a preheated oven at 400 for 25-35 minutes and enjoy!
No way! You can make these quick black bean burritos and enjoy them right away.
The best way is to freeze each burrito individually and wrap in aluminum foil. Then place all your burritos in a gallon freezer bag. I do not wrap my burritos in plastic wrap so that I can pop them right into the oven out of the freezer still wrapped in foil.
You can either reheat these burritos straight out of the freezer (still wrapped in foil) in a preheated oven at 400 for 25-35 minutes. Or pop them into the microwave (unwrapped, no foil) for 5-10 minutes.
No, this recipe would not do well in an instant pot as it only requires a few minutes of cook time on a stovetop.
Yes! Easily a vegan burrito if you omit the cheese.
Easily made gluten free if you use a gluten free tortilla! The filling is gluten free.
The burritos will last for up to 3 months in the freezer.
Don't forget to pin this recipe and save it for later! 👇
If you liked this vegetarian burrito recipe you may also like