How to Freeze and Make Pizza Dough
How to make pizza dough
Some things are just better made from scratch. If you have ever had homemade pizza you already know its an absolute dream. Keep reading to find out how to make pizza dough!
Have you ever wondered how do you make pizza dough from scracth? Is it hard? Do I need special ingredients or to know how to knead?
At first when you think of homemade pizza you may feel a little concerned or even overwhelmed. But being a mom of three kids I know convenience is everything.
I wanted to provide you with an easy hands free recipe you can make in the stand mixer!
Often times my toddler wants water, while my daughter has a question, and my infant wants to be held. With all that going on how are you gonna have the time (or hands!) to mix, knead and make your dough for the sweet taste of homemade pizza that night?!
This recipe solves those problems and you will enjoy a delicious Italian like pizza dough recipe that you made from scratch.
You are going to end up with a perfect fluffy pizza dough with this recipe! If you’re interested in making some homemade pizza sauce to go on top check out this recipe for a basil tomato sauce here!
Why you will love this fluffy pizza dough.
- Super Easy
- Extremely Tasty
- Healthy (Soy Free, Dairy Free, Preservative Free)
- Family Friendly
What are the ingredients for pizza dough?
This recipe breaks it down to the basic ingredients you need. Basically flour, oil, yeast and seasoning. So you wont need any creazy ingredients for this one!
Which flour is best for pizza dough?
Always go for an all-purpose flour. You will get great flavor and probably already have some sitting in the cabinets.
Ingredients you will need for pizza dough recipe.
- all-purpose flour
- active dry yeast (or instant yeast)
- warm water
- olive oil
- raw honey (optional)
What is raw honey? Is it different from regular honey?
Do you have to let pizza dough sit?
This is a hard yes unfortunately. But its always worth it for the texture it provides. You could always do a make ahead pizza dough the day before or a few days. Or if you want freeze a couple portioned dough balls and thaw for use.
How to make pizza dough taste better?
Personally I love the flavor and simplicity of this recipe. But if you want to jazz the flavor up a bit try adding some seasonings you like to the dry ingredients or brush the crust with butter and season after its out of the oven.
This recipe will show you how to make pizza dough with step by step instructions.
Remember this dough could be made in the morning, or even a day or two before if you want, the longer it sits in your fridge the better it gets! (Uncooked the dough will store in fridge for up to three days prior to use. Once cooked pizza will stay good in sealed container in fridge for 3-5 days)
What kind of toppings should I use?
- cheese (mozzerella)
How to store this pizza dough raw?
Do I need a slow cooker for this recipe?
If you want to learn more about pizza then check out the history here.
If you liked this recipe you may also like this post for a homemade healthy tomato sauce!
*See FAQ’s and specific tips following recipe below. (so you don’t have to scroll for a million years to find the food 😉 ).
How to make pizza dough? 👇
Hands Free Pizza Dough
- 3 cups + 2 tbsp (375 g) all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast or instant yeast
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp warm water I use hottest level tap water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp raw honey optional
- Combine flour, salt and active dry yeast in bowl of stand mixture, mix together using the dough attachment.
- Add water, oil and honey (if using) and stir until a dough forms. (Dough should stick together and pull away from the sides)
- On low speed mix (knead) the dough in the stand mixer for 8 minutes. Dough will be slightly sticky when finished but should have a soft pillow-like feel.
- Scrap dough out of stand mixer and form into a ball, (if dough seems too sticky sprinkle with a little flour to handle).
- Set dough ball onto a floured surface, sprinkle with a little olive oil to keep moist and cover with slightly damp towel and let rise for 45 minutes - 1 hour.
- Time to stretch your dough and make some pizza! Gently flatten your dough ball into a circle and begin to pull sides out and you rotate your circle. You can even pick it up and let gravity help you stretch your dough!
- Use the dough right away or refrigerate for 2-3 days. Doughwill continue to rise in the fridge and will only taste better with time. (Ifusing dough after its been in fridge be sure to let it sit out at room temp for30-45 minutes before use).
- Prep your pizza with desired sauce and toppings then bake in preheated oven at 500 degrees for 9-12 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
- Use a kitchen scale for the flour
- Let the dough rise for min 45 minutes. This may be an annoying step to wait for but is the secret to pizza dough.
- Customize your dough with different seasonings!
if you liked this recipe give it a share!
Tag @My_FamilyDinner or #MyFamilyDinner
How freezer meals will change your life.
Frequently asked questions
You don’t have to be intimidated to make your own pizza dough at home. In fact it can be a super easy and exciting process. This recipe is great for beginners because you do not have to master a dough kneed, just pop it into the mixer and follow the instructions.
Enjoy pizza night with the family or have fun with homemade individual pizzas so everyone can cook!
Yes. Even though having to let it sit out a bit the result is so worth the extra time. You will love it!
Basically yes. Back in the day wheat/grain and water plus oil equaled bread. Luckily today there is instant yeast and so many other ingredients readily available to produce quality recipes like this one, making modern day cooking quick easy and delicious!
No milk or butter in the dough. Usually flour water yeast salt and some olive oil will give you a great pizza dough.
Unfortunately no, this pizza dough is not designed for the instant pot.
If you’re interested in an instant pot cheat sheet for converting slow cooker recipes to instant pot recipes with cook times click here!
Try adding in some of your favorite seasonings or even some cheese to give your dough extra flavor.
To freeze your pizza dough wrap in parchment paper/freezer paper/wax paper. Then wrap in aluminum foil and place in gallon freezer bag. I like to wrap them in pizza sizes which I prefer so when I need it all it takes is thawing one dough ball to make a tasty homemade pizza.
Just take your frozen pizza ball out of the gallon bag and into the fridge. I like to thaw it a day before use but you could also take it out morning of and set it on the counter to thaw for dinner.
After thawed use as normal to make a pizza.
Don't forget to pin this recipe and save it for later! 👇
Follow Here! 👇
If you liked this pizza dough recipe you may also like
I agree pizza dough from scratch is always the best way to go! Love this!!
Thanks so much!