Best Rib Recipe
Have you been looking for the best rib recipe?! You are in the right place! I have come up with the best rib rub recipe giving you and insane homemade rib. Whether you love spare ribs or baby back ribs this rib rub will get you licking your fingers and cooking everyday!
These ribs are also amazing because of the way they are cooked. Low and slow is the best way to tenderize meat, using the slow cooker makes the process easy.
This is the best rib rub recipe using no sugar and only real ingredients!
BBQ is a classic comfort food dish but doesnt always have to contain tons of sugar. I love using natural sweeneters like coconut siagr and honey to sweeten my food without the guilt.
My husband and kids are all about the sweets and using coconut sugar I get an amazing rub on these ribs. You can even try making a homemade BBQ sauce (find mine here) and use it as a marinade if thats what you prefer.
Why you will love this rib recipe.
- 10 Minutes to Prep
- Super Easy
- Extremely Tasty
- Healthy (Soy Free, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Preservative Free)
- Family Friendly
Are ribs healthy?
Ingredients you will need for the best rib rub recipe.
- baby back ribs (or short ribs)
- chili powder
- coconut sugar
- black pepper
- garlic powder
- cayenne pepper (optional, omit if you do not like spicy)
- onion powder
Do I have to use coconut sugar?
How to make the best rib rub recipe?
How to make best rib recipe in the slow cooker?
What kind of meat can I use?
Can I freeze ribs?
Yes, season the ribs with your rub and throw them into the freezer. They will not cure because everything is frozen stopping the process. Once you are ready to cook just remove the ribs and let thaw. Then cook following the directions below.
What to serve with the best rib recipe?
How to store the best rib recipe?
Do I need a slow cooker for this recipe?
Can I use an instant pot instead?
*See FAQ’s and specific tips following recipe below. (so you don’t have to scroll for a million years to find the food 😉 ).
How do you make this Rib Recipe? 👇
Best Rib Recipe
- Slow Cooker or Crock Pot
- 3-4 lbs baby back ribs (or short rib)
- 1 cup water
BBQ Dry Rub (Mix together in a small bowl):
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper optional
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dill
- Mix together BBQ dry rub in small bowl.
- Set ribs into slow cooker (depending on how large you may want to cut into two or three large pieces so they comfortably fit into slow cooker).
- Rub dry rub all over sides of ribs.
- Add 1 cup water into slow cooker.
- Cook on low 8-10 hours or high 6-8 hours.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Label Freezer bag with recipe name, cooking from frozen directions and expiration date (todays date plus three months).
- Rub dry rub all over ribs.
- Add seasoned ribs into gallon freezer bag. (Add water day of cooking).
- Store in freezer for up to three months.
Cooking from Frozen Directions:
- Thaw overnight in fridge or in the morning in some warm water (meal may not be 100% thawed but that is ok).
- Add freezer bag contents into slow cooker.
- Cook on low 8-10 hours or high 6-8 hours. (You may need to add 30 minutes cook time if ribs are completely frozen).
- Serve and enjoy!
- Cayenne pepper is optional because it gives quite a kick. If you do not want spicy omit this element.
- You can use a bbq sauce instead of dry rub if desired and follow the same cooking directions for a delicious rib! Use 2 cups sauce if this is the route you take.
- This recipe is paleo because of the coconut sugar. You can use regular granulated sugar or brown sugar if desired.
if you liked this recipe give it a share!
Tag @My_FamilyDinner or #MyFamilyDinner
How freezer meals will change your life.
Frequently asked questions
No problem! Just throw the freezer meal in your slow cooker and you’re all set. If it doesn’t fit thaw it for a few minutes in warm water. (You may need to add an extra 30 minutes cook time if completely frozen when cooking).
I always prefer homemade rib rub recipes for the best flavor and quality! Unfortunately spices and especially spice blends are common for many fillers and even items such as dust or bug droppings. This may sound crazy but check out my post here for more detailed information on spices and why to buy organic.
Yes, but do not go past overnight (10-12 hours) because of the salt in your seasoning it can dry out your meat (almost like a cured meat) if it sits on the dry ribs too long.
Anywhere from 15 minutes (to create a moisture-locking effect as you cook) to overnight (10-12 hours).
Your ribs will not dry out as long as they do not sit longer than 12 hours with seasoning. But if you like to add extra you can spritz the ribs with a spray bottle containing equal parts apple cider vinegar and water.
Usually ribs are seasoned with either a marinate or a dry rub. Both have amazing flavor combinations and con produce the most amazing homemade rib. I prefer this recipe because it has the best rib rub recipe around!
So good it should be an award winning dry rub for ribs.
Its personal preference. The main difference between a dry rib and a marinade is the marinade tenderizes the meat faster. However depending on your cook method a dry rub can give you an intense flavorful rib.
When using a marinade be sure to let ribs soak for 30 minutes to overnight but no more than 12 hours. If a rib marinates too long it can become too acidic.
Many people like to wrap their ribs in foil when grilling because they can limit the amount of smoke flavor added to their ribs. But when cooking in an instant pot or slow cooker you don’t have to worry about smoke levels or wrapping your ribs.
Its all about cooking low and slow! If you are using an instant pot because of the pressure it makes for a tender juicy rib must faster than normal pace.
However I prefer my ribs out of the slow cooker after cooking in the rub all day for a fall off the bone juicy rib.
You can make this dry rub ahead of time and store it so its ready to go when you need it. Just store in a glass container in a cool dry place to be used when needed.
You can use this dry rub recipe on anything! Try using it on pork chops, beef tips, baby back ribs or short ribs.
Don't forget to pin this recipe and save it for later! 👇
Follow Here! 👇
If you liked this dry rub rib recipe you may also like