There are so many different options when you contemplate cooking a whole chicken at home. Here is my take for a slow cooker whole roasted chicken!
Enjoy this recipe because of the ease it offers and the tasty dinner you will enjoy! That moment when you walk to the table with a whole chicken you cooked is impressive and for me a very classic mom like moment.
Its also so crazy affordable to go buy a whole organic chicken from the store so your meat is high quality!
You can also make a slow cook whole chicken in the oven and here is a recipe if that is your preferred method.
If sitting down to a family dinner of a full chicken is not your thing then this recipe is great for sandwhiches salads and many more recipes! Make it and use up everything! I also LOVE using the bones to make a homemade bone broth which is the best on its own or in recipes!
You will never enjoy a meal as much as when it involves homemade chicken bone broth! So much flavor!
I love finding ways to use everything like they used to back in the day. A whole chicken can get you giblets for gravy, meat for meals, bones for bone broth, and even skin for crisy chips or homemade schmaltz. ANd schmaltz is the secret to many recipes.
Having a couple frozen whole chickens is a great rescource for when you are running low on food or a time that you are stuck at home and cant go shopping.
See being about to utilize and cook a whole chicken is totally worth it. Plus its insanely fast and easy. Follow the easy recipe below to get a perfect roasted chicken in a slow cooker every time.
If you make this then tag @FamilyFoodFreezer or #familyfoodfreezer so we can see your beautiful dish!
Slow Cooker Whole Roasted Chicken
- 1 whole chicken, thawed (4-6 lbs)
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp crushed black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 3 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp celery seed
- TIP: If frozen, be sure chicken is fully thawed. It may take 24 hours to fully thaw so take it out of freezer and set into the fridge a day or two before you plan on cooking it.
- Mix together the seasonings in small bowl and set aside.
- Rinse whole chicken inside and out with cold water. Pat dry and then set aside. (You may be tempted to skip this step but it helps the chicken immensely in the slow cooker so I would not suggest skipping this step.)
- Rub spice mixture all over chicken, including beneath the skin. (The skin will remain on the whole chicken but can be easily separated to create space for the seasoning if you slide your fingers between the skin and breasts).
- Place chicken breast side up into a slow cookers and cook on low for 6-8 hours. (Timing will depend on the size of your chicken. a 4 lb chicken will be closer to 6 while a 6 lb chicken will be closer to 8 hours. Be sure chicken is cooked to an internal temp of 165 degrees).
- Ready to serve! Chicken should break apart easily and be juicy and tender!
- Place whole chicken from grocery store into freezer.
Cooking from Frozen Directions:
- Do not cook a whole chicken from frozen. Be sure to thaw your whole chicken for 24-48 hours in the fridge and then follow directions above. It is not reccommended to place a frozen whole chicken in the slow cooker or crockpot for safety reasons.
- Get creative with different spice blends to create your own flavored roasted chicken.
- TIP: Set whole chicken atop foil balls so the drippings fall down below chicken while cooking. (This step is optional but ends up with a great result).
Can you put raw chicken in a slow cooker?
Absolutely! The temp is high enough that bacteria will not grow but low enough to cook the chicken to a tender juicy flavorful dinner.
Do you put water in slow cooker with chicken?
There are plenty of recipes where broth or water is required to cook a chicken recipe but for cooking this whole roasted chicken in the slow cooker no water/broth is needed!
How long does chicken take in the slow cooker?
For a whole roasted chicken you will need 6-8 hours in the slow cooker.
What size slow cooker do i need?
I love using a 6 quart slow cooker so I have plenty of size for cooking meals for a crowd or just our family. If you’re cooking for two you can get away with a 3/4 quart sized slow cooker.
I forgot to thaw my whole chicken, can i still cook it in the slow cooker?
No, because of how large a whole chicken is you MUST THAW the chicken before cooking it in the slow cooker.
Is it dangerous to slow cook chicken?
Not at all! It is perfectly safe and turns out delicious!
Should you cook chicken before putting in slow cooker?
Some people prefer to sear their chicken breasts before cooking in slow cooker but i find it unnecessary and just ads an extra step you don’t need.
Comment below and let me know how your recipe turned out!