Slow cooker whole chicken
There are so many different options when you contemplate cooking a whole chicken at home. Here is my take for a slow cooker whole roasted chicken!
Enjoy this recipe because of the ease it offers and the tasty dinner you will enjoy! That moment when you walk to the table with a whole chicken you cooked is impressive and for me a very classic mom like moment.
Its crazy affordable to go buy a whole organic chicken from the store giving you high quality meat!
You can make a slow cook whole chicken in the oven and here is a recipe if that is your preferred method.
If sitting down to a family dinner of a full chicken is not your thing then this recipe is great for sandwiches salads and many more recipes! Make it and use up everything! I also LOVE using the bones to make a homemade bone broth which is the best on its own or in recipes!
You will never enjoy a meal as much as when it involves homemade chicken bone broth! So much flavor!
I love finding ways to use everything like they used to back in the day. A whole chicken can get you giblets for gravy, meat for meals, bones for bone broth, and even skin for crispy chips or homemade schmaltz. and schmaltz is the secret too many recipes.
Why you will love this slow cooker whole chicken recipe.
- 10 Minutes to Prep
- Super Easy
- Extremely Tasty
- Healthy (Soy Free, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Preservative Free)
- Family Friendly
Do you need to put water in slow cooker with chicken?
Ingredients you will need for slow cooker whole chicken recipe.
- whole chicken, thawed (4-6 lbs)
- garlic powder
- black pepper
- onion powder
- celery seed
What if I don’t have all the seasonings?
How to make the rotisserie chicken rub?
What size slow cooker do I need to cook a whole chicken?
Can you put raw chicken in a slow cooker?
What to serve with this slow cooker whole chicken?
How to store this healthy slow cooker whole chicken recipe?
Do I need a slow cooker for this recipe?
Can I use an instant pot instead?
*See FAQ’s and specific tips following recipe below. (so you don’t have to scroll for a million years to find the food ).
How do you make this Slow Cooker Whole Chicken Recipe?
Slow Cooker Whole Roasted Chicken
- 1 whole chicken, thawed (4-6 lbs)
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp crushed black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 3 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp celery seed
- TIP: If frozen, be sure chicken is fully thawed. It may take 24 hours to fully thaw so take it out of freezer and set into the fridge a day or two before you plan on cooking it.
- Mix together the seasonings in small bowl and set aside.
- Rinse whole chicken inside and out with cold water. Pat dry and then set aside. (You may be tempted to skip this step but it helps the chicken immensely in the slow cooker so I would not suggest skipping this step.)
- Rub spice mixture all over chicken, including beneath the skin. (The skin will remain on the whole chicken but can be easily separated to create space for the seasoning if you slide your fingers between the skin and breasts).
- Place chicken breast side up into a slow cookers and cook on low for 6-8 hours. (Timing will depend on the size of your chicken. a 4 lb chicken will be closer to 6 while a 6 lb chicken will be closer to 8 hours. Be sure chicken is cooked to an internal temp of 165 degrees).
- Ready to serve! Chicken should break apart easily and be juicy and tender!
- Place whole chicken from grocery store into freezer.
Cooking from Frozen Directions:
- Do not cook a whole chicken from frozen. Be sure to thaw your whole chicken for 24-48 hours in the fridge and then follow directions above. It is not reccommended to place a frozen whole chicken in the slow cooker or crockpot for safety reasons.
- Get creative with different spice blends to create your own flavored roasted chicken.
- TIP: Set whole chicken atop foil balls so the drippings fall down below chicken while cooking. (This step is optional but ends up with a great result).
if you liked this recipe give it a share!
Tag @My_FamilyDinner or #MyFamilyDinner
How freezer meals will change your life.
To learn more about how freezer cooking can help make your life easier sign up for FOOD FOR THOUGHT! Get healthy recipes, meal plans and hacks straight to your inbox weekly.
Frequently asked questions
Unfortunately cooking a whole frozen, or partially frozen chicken is not safe in the slow cooker.
It is recommended to thaw the whole chicken completely. I like to leave my frozen whole chicken in a fridge for 24-48 hours and then cook it when thawed.
It’s so easy! Just rub with some spices and throw it in the slow cooker!
Follow the instructions in the recipe above for detailed cooking instructions.
Dark meat has more fat so it doesnt dry out as quickly. Luckily when you are cooking a whole chicken it has dark meat and skin wraped around the whole thing.
This skin layer keeps the meat from drying out as long as you do not overcook it. By following the recipe directions your will get a whole juicy chicken straight out of your slow cooker at home!
I also like to set the chicken in the slow cooker breast side down to keep the white meat juicy!
A serving size assumes 1 1/2 cup of chicken at 142 kcal per serving.
Set your chicken in the slow cooker breast side down so that your white meat stay juicy and cooks perfectly.
On average 6 hours in the slow cooker. If your whole chicken is closer to 4 lbs it will be closer to 6 hours and the bigger the chicken the longer your cook time.
Absolutely! It is perfectly safe to cook a whole chicken at home in the slow cooker! As long as your chicken is fully thawed you can enjoy a perfectly roasted whole chicken in the comfort of your own kitchen.
Don't forget to pin this recipe and save it for later! 👇
Follow Here! 👇
If you liked this slow cooker whole chicken recipe you may also like